Are Electric Vehicles going to lose the Plug-In Grant?
As part of encouraging UK automotive customers to make a greener vehicle choice, the Government put in place a grant to support the price of the vehicles – a list of Low-emission vehicles eligible for a plug-in grant are set out on their website at . This support scheme has been in place for some time (it was set up in 2011) and was originally a generous £5000 to assist ultra-low emission cars.
To be clear, this included pure electric and PHEVs. With a shortage of vehicle options, there were only so many vehicles which qualified for this grant initially, so cars like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV received the same support. In 2018, the grant was changed to support zero emission vehicles only i.e. pure electric cars. These are vehicles which do not produce any emissions from their tailpipe which means there must be no combustion engine present. Over 200,000 vehicles have enjoyed this support, so it has very much assisted in the EV-revolution.
The plug-in grant is not a rebate paid to the customer – we sometimes get asked by customers “when do I get my plug-in grant money?” To be clear this is included within the vehicle’s OTR price, so will be reflected in the price you pay per month on your leasing contract. From March 2021, the value of the grant, and cars which qualified for the grant, changed quite substantially. The figure was reduced to £2500 (from the previous £3000) and only cars below £35,000 qualified for the grant.
By “price” this means the vehicle including Vat, including any mandatory extra specification, battery costs and delivery charges / admin charges (but not the discounts, FRF, warranty or service packages or non-standard options). Where a vehicle model has a price range which is above and below £35,000 only those variants/trim levels priced below the cap will be eligible for the grant.
Variants or trim levels of eligible vehicles which are priced above the price cap are not eligible for the grant. Effectively, the Government are supporting more cost-effective vehicles which are likely to be used by an average consumer, as opposed to the luxury and high-end models which you will have seen across the EV sector. AS we move to the mass-adoption of electric cars, support is needed for the affordable and budget options.
So will the EV grant be in place after 2021? The obvious fact is that EVs are growing considerably in popularity. As the SMMT reported some 11,000+ pure electric/battery electric vehicles were registered in July 2021. Within those vehicles, many would have been priced below the £35,000 threshold, so will have qualified for the grant. While there are suggestions of the grant being in place longer; in their Transition to zero emission cars and vans report, the Government stated – Commitment: We will continue to fund the plug-in car grant until at least 2022/23. However, there is a clear message that this will be placed under regular review and grants can change at any time. With increasing demand for EVs, which are now more readily available and cost-effective, the likelihood on a plug-in grant beyond 2022 is seemingly low. Or the threshold / qualification is likely to change.
What if my car is delayed by the ongoing semi-conductor issues?
But what if my EV is delayed by the semi-conductor issues? Can you lose the grant for a vehicle delay? To help customers, OZEV have produced an explanatory letter (set out below) which recognised the obvious issues caused by the automotive industry challenges on parts:
- Orders placed on the Plug in Grant Portal within the 9 months prior to 5 August 2021 will be allowed an additional 3 months, therefore a total of 12 months, to reach ‘awaiting payment’, ‘awaiting audit’ or ‘completed’ status on the portal. The extended 12 month limit will apply to any order added to the portal on or after 5 November 2020.
- We will continue to allow 12 months for new orders placed on the portal for a 6 month period. This period will end at 23:59pm on 4 February 2022. We may consider further extensions to the 12 month period depending on the state of the market at this point.
This is a positive move by OZEV which recognises the ongoing issues our industry face. As the UK’s leading electric car leasing experts, we need the ability to instil confidence in our personal and business leasing customers. When a vehicle is on order for 3/6/9 months, the prospect of losing the £2500 grant support is somewhat sizeable and can often be the difference between a customer affording their new electric car or not. Government support for this is essentially for the EV transition to work properly.
Thank you to our personal leasing customer from Strathaven (Scotland) for sending photos of this new luxury electric sports car!
In terms of the car shown, the Porsche Taycan Saloon 350kW 93kWh 4Dr RWD Auto [5 Seat] Pure Electric Vehicle, this is based on the following configuration:
- Neptune Blue – Porsche special metallic paint
- Two tone partial leather – Black/Chalk beige
- 21″ mission E design alloy wheels
- High gloss black side window trims
- Model designation deletion
- Porsche surface coated brake (PSCB)
- Wheel centres with full colour Porsche crest
- Panoramic roof with fixed glass panel
- Acoustically insulated laminated privacy glass
- Park assist including surround view
- Porsche crest on front headrest
- BOSE surround sound system with 14 loudspeakers including subwoofer and total output 710 watts
- 150 kW On board booster
Just to be clear, you have the option of a Taycan Saloon and a Cross Turismo now with Porsche.
Based on which type you choose, you can enjoy one of a number of specification including – 1) Taycan; 2) Taycan 4S; 3) Taycan Turbo; 4) Taycan Turbo S.
As standard the “Taycan base model” car shown here includes the options below:
- 11 kW AC onboard charger
- 12V electrical socket in centre console storage compartment
- 12V electrical socket in rear luggage compartment
- 16.8 inch curved touchscreen display
- 2 Speed automatic transmission
- 2 Speed transmission on the rear axle
- 2 USB-C charge ports in rear
- 2 USB-C connectivity and charge ports in the centre console storage compartment
- 3 point automatic seatbelts with front and outer rear seats pretensioners and fr
- 3×3 point rear seatbelts
- 4 piston aluminium monobloc fixed brake calipers at rear
- 4+1 Seats
- 4-point LED daytime running lights
- 4D Integrated chassis control
- 6 piston aluminium monobloc fixed caliper brakes at front
- 60:40 rear seats with 2 seats in single seat look with fold out center armrest a
- Active bonnet
- Active carbon fine dust filter keeps pollen and odours
- Adaptive damping system
- Air curtain upper valance with vertical air intakes
- Aluminium bonnet with tailgate door, side sections and front wings
- Aluminium double wishbone front axle
- Aluminium multi link rear axle
- Aluminium roof contoured design with dynamic recess profile
- Auto deploying door handles
- Auto hold function
- Automatic headlight activation including welcome home lighting
- Brake discs internally vented with 360mm diameter at front and 358mm diameter at
- Brake pad wear indicator
- Bumper system with high strength cross members and two deformation elements + Tw
- Centre console with direct touch control includes climate settings, opening and
- Charge port on driver (AC Type 2) and front passenger sides AC/DC Type 2 CCS Com
- Clothes hooks on B-pillars on driver’s and front passenger’s sides
- Collision and brake assist
- Curtain airbags along entire roof frame and side windows from A pillar to the C
- DC charging at public charging with 800V
- Digital radio
- Driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors
- Driver and front passenger knee airbag
- Driver personalisation for ergonomic, comfort, infotainment and lighting functio
- Electric drive transmission
- Electric parking brake
- Electrically adjustable and heated exterior mirrors with aspherical on driver’s
- Engine immobiliser with remote central locking and alarm system with radar based
- Front and rear electric windows
- Front and rear luggage compartments
- Front centre console armrest with integrated storage compartment
- Front side airbags
- Full size driver and front passenger airbags
- Full surface aerodynamic underbody panelling
- Fully galvanised steel/aluminium hybrid lightweight bodyshell
- Heat pump
- Heated rear window with automatic switch off
- ISOFIX child seats mounting system on outer rear seats
- Integrated front headrests
- Integrated side impact protection in doors
- Keyless Start
- LED interior light with switchoff delay, front and rear reading spot light, foot
- Lane keeping assist including traffic sign recognition
- Lower valance in black
- Manual height adjust for driver and front passenger seat belt
- Multi collision brake assist
- Parking pre-climatisation including pre-conditioning of battery
- Performance battery plus with 93.4 kWh capacity
- Permanent magnet synchronous motor on the rear axle
- Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including online navigation module, mobil
- Porsche Stability Management (PSM), vehicle stability system with ABS and extend
- Porsche active aerodynamics (PAA) with active air intake flaps and adaptive rear
- Porsche connect with apple carplay
- Porsche intelligent range manager
- Porsche recuperation management
- Porsche vehicle tracking system (PVTS Plus)
- Power boot lid
- Range mode for activation efficiency orientated settings
- Rear head restraints
- Rollover detection for activation of curtain airbags and seat belt pretensioners
- Seatbelt warning system for driver/front passenger and rear seat system
- Silver model designation on tailgate
- Single-speed transmission on the front axle
- Sport mode for activation dynamic performance settings including launch control
- Storage compartments in glove comaprtment, front centre console, outer rear seat
- Supply cable for domestic electrical socket
- Supply cable for industrial electrical outlet (230V, 32A)
- Tailgate button
- Taycan badge on center console
- Third brake light
- Two integrated cup holders in front and rear
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Windscreen wiper system including rain sensor and washer jets
- Wireless phone charging in centre console storage compartment
On the technical-side, company car and Salary Sacrifice users can note the P11d at £78,009.00 and CO2 at 0g/km for a standard car – for a 40% tax payer this means benefit in kind of around £25 per month!. The 83kWh usable lithium-ion battery delivers performance of 469ps, 0-62 times of 5.4 seconds and to speeds of 143mph.
The range on bigger battery Taycan is 240 miles for winter temperatures and around 325 miles for summer weather. In terms of charging speeds, the Taycan can charge at 11kW AC max as standard (0-100% is available in 9 hours) or at 262kW DC (10-80% in 20 minutes).
For a full analysis of AC charging on the Porsche Taycan., please see below:
For a full analysis of DC / Rapid charging on the Porsche Taycan., please see below: